Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wet Gloves


Justin arrived at the gym with his girl and his girl's friend again.  The girls got to see quite a show.  First, Justin was showing out on the heavy bag.  Then, as seen in the photo above, he got in the ring with Jason.  Again Justin was encouraging Jason to move around and throw punches.  But Jason gave up after one round.


Then Justin had a sparring session with Alan.  Justin was doing double and triple jabs.  Alan got caught with something and nearly fell.  Justin took some hits, and narrowly avoided some other hits that might have did some major damage.  He had nothing but praise for Alan afterwards.  "Alan hits very good for an old man," Justin said.  Alan grinned.


Melinda and I sparred, and she's very good at defense.  I could barely get any punches in.  I ended up slipping and falling a couple of times.  My left knee just decided to go out.  Alan told me that I could barely walk, but I was sparring -- why?  "By sheer determination," I answered after I got up off the canvas.


Rachel and Melinda sparred last, and it took awhile to get started.  Rachel had on bag gloves at first, and those had to be changed.  The next pair of gloves were frayed on the inside, so she couldn't get her hand all the way inside one of them.  Nick offered to lend her his pair, but they were sweaty on the inside.  "No, I don't want to do wet gloves," Rachel said.  I've gotten so used to sticking my hands inside sweaty sparring gloves that it doesn't phase me anymore.  I have hand gel in my locker, and I wash my hands when I get home.  But Rachel wasn't having it.  Finally, we found a pair of gloves, and the sparring session went on.

Earlier in the day, I went to check out Bridgeport Boxing Club, a new spot not far from where the White Sox play.  My intent was to see if I could sell them something -- I was working in the field, after all -- but I also wanted to see the gym.  It's a new place, down the street from where Sam's old gym was located before it moved.  Rita is the mom of the manager, and her son-in-law owns the place and coaches.  We had a good conversation.  I told her I learned about the place from "Fearless" Fernando, a former professional boxer who now is a trainer and works there.  I'll have to come back there, buy a day pass, and do a workout sometime.


No comments: