Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Clearing Out The Gym


One of the teens who hangs around the field house was geared up to join the boxing class.  But disappointment settled in when he learned the time the class meets. Some of the youths can't make it to the classes because it conflicts with something else they're doing, or else, their parents/guardians don't want them away from the house after a certain time.  It happens too often.  The times of the classes will change, but not until summer when an adult boxing class will be added.

I took a suggestion I got from this past weekend's coaches' clinic about asking the kids what they want to get out of boxing.  Marine told me he wants to exercise and perhaps win some fights.  However, when I mentioned the upcoming City Wide Boxing Tournament to Talky, she mentioned again that she doesn't want to fight.  "Then why are you in the class, Talky?" I asked her.  "I don't know," she answered.  See, that's what I don't want to hear.  Against my better judgement, I gave her a registration form for her, her brother T1, and her sister Tough to sign up for the Spring class.  But T1 has long abandoned the class, preferring to play basketball instead.  Tough doesn't spend much time in the class, either.  She's usually too busy running around the field house.  Talky's got a bad habit of bringing other kids into the class and telling them they can put on the gloves and jump around in the ring.

When Talky's friend realized she wasn't going to get to do much unless she signed up, she left.  "Can I call my mama and stay in here if she says so?" Talky's friend asked.  "I need a signed registration form," I replied.  I have to keep repeating that parental permission is needed.  I fail to understand why most of the kids don't get that.

One kid had the nerve to tell me, "I can fill out the form myself."  Then the kid turned around and said they really didn't want to be in boxing.  "Why ask me for a form to sign up for something you don't want to do?" I asked.  Another kid thought because they were signed up for Fall, they were good for the entire year. Those kids got a surprise after they, along with several of their buddies, thought they were going to just going to hang around and play around.  I put everybody out of the gym.

That left me with Marine, and we had a good workout session using the punch mitts.  Marine seems to be my best fighter at the moment.  I just hope Marine gets a fight at the tournament.

No comments: