Sunday, March 01, 2015

Sunday's Test


I was going to go to church when I remembered I needed to attend a boxing coaches' clinic at Oakley Boxing Gym (formerly known as JABB Gym). Traveling via three buses, I arrived just in time for the clinic to start.  Joe and Bob were running the clinic.

There seems to have been a lot of rule changes over the past few years.  USA Boxing and AIBA appear to have tightened up on a lot of things. It's a lot of information to keep up with.  For example, boxers 40 years of age and over are considered to be in the Masters' Division, although those 35 to 39 years of age can still declare themselves to be Masters' boxers.  But if they elect to be in the Elite Division, they can't go back and forth between the two divisions.  The Elite boxers don't use headgear.

I only saw three other women on the premises.  However, only one of them I knew was actually a coach, and that was Jessica.  She works at a private boxing gym.

Barry was there, and he gave me a ride to a train station afterwards, which was very nice of him.  We got a chance to chat.  Percy, who usually runs the glove table at the Golden Gloves was there.  Percy recently had an operation, but he looked fine.  I also noticed Pat sitting in the back of the room.  I figured maybe some other coaches should have been there, but maybe their certification wasn't due yet.  Buying a license is one thing; anyone can do that on line.  But certification is something else altogether.  It has to be done every two years. Without it, coaches won't be able to work their fighters' corners.

Everyone in attendance was given the Level 1 boxing test.  I missed a few questions, but otherwise, I passed it.  A lot of the questions are just common sense, but there are a few tricky questions thrown in.  An updated copy of the rules may be found online.  I'll re-read my old copy from a couple of years ago, then eventually download the new set so I can compare the changes.

No comments: