Friday, April 24, 2015

Limping Around The Gym


My left knee hurt so bad yesterday that I took off work.  Ever so often, my arthritis flares up.  My knee was swollen and extremely tender.  It wasn't any better today, but I limped into the gym.

Two new kids signed up for the teen class.  One kid's mom explained, "My son is more of a homebody.  My son is not a street kid."  Her son has been experiencing some bullying, and he'll be going to high school in the fall.  She wants her son to be able to stand up to anyone who approaches him in the wrong way.

I was waiting on the second kid, Jeremiah, to tell me he was 17 years old.  "I'm twelve," Jeremiah said.  The kid is over six feet tall.  I asked him his age a couple of times because I couldn't believe it.  What are people feeding these kids today?

I was in the middle of closing up when Coach James told me that two guys in his baseball program -- a couple of cousins -- wanted to spar with each other.  One cousin had been bragging about being able to knock the other one out.  One of the cousins was Anthony, who is signed up for boxing, but, you guessed it, too busy playing ball to train in the gym.  Anthony was dead tired after only one two-minute round.  Neither boy was throwing decent punches, and a few times, both fell out of the ring and out of their shoes.  Lucky for them, the ring is on the floor and not up off of the ground.

Daniya was the only person who showed up to the 8-to-12 year olds' class.  Her sister had gymnastics class to attend.  "I saw Angelique upstairs," Daniya told me.  Angelique had promised to return to the gym on a regular basis, but she hasn't done so yet.  She didn't come in today.  Daniya needs someone to work with, especially where sparring is concerned.  I'm worried about her not being able to get enough sparring time, and also if I'll be able to find someone for her to fight with at our boxing show in July.

I limped home after work.  A guy saw me struggling to get up the street.  "Are you okay?" he asked.  "I'll be fine.  I have arthritis in my knees," I answered.  A couple of night ago, a young man helped me get down the 'L platform by offering his arm to me.   I appreciated the help, but it just further pointed out that I seem to have turned into a little old lady.

No comments: